Posted by Charbax on January 23rd, 2009
Archos announced and demonstrated together with Alcatel Lucent and ICO, one of the worlds first solutions for the DVB-SH reception. It’ll be available as a Dock and a software plugin within the next few months, in those regions that are going to launch the DVB-SH mobile TV broadcasting standard.
The DVB-SH standard mixes HSDPA-like cell phone towers that transmit the DVB-H mobile TV signal in densely populated areas, while EUTELSAT and SES Astra are launching a new satellite that will cover most of Europe with a mobile TV signal in less populated areas. You can watch a video Interview I did with an Alcatel-Lucent representative about the DVB-SH technology at http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/alcatel-lucent-dvb-sh/
As we are still waiting for the following promised features in firmware upgrades:
- HD 720p video codecs support through the HD plugin
- HSDPA USB dongle support on USB host of Battery, Mini Dock or DVR Station
- DVB-T Tuner Dock
- FM Remote Control (worldwide release)
- Full in-car GPS Dock support
- USB1 and USB2 keyboard and mouse support with USB hub (already partially working)
So you can hopefully look forward to all these awesome promised features being added in the coming weeks and months to the current Archos 5 and Archos 7 series.
You can discuss this at http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21114